Friday, May 20, 2022

Of Cats and Traps — Part 4

Dora the Therapy Cat showed up on the barn’s loading dock one afternoon. She’d either wandered in from who-knows-where, or more likely was dumped by some out of towner. That happens quite a bit in Syria. Dora was unusual. I fed her with rest of the cats, and figured to trap her ASAP to get her fixed. When I finished and headed back to the truck Dora followed me. I tried to shoo her back, but of course cats no more understand that than they understand calculus. I figured she’d go back to the colony when I drove away, but she tried to get into the truck with me. I closed the door; as I drove away, she ran about in the street, completely confused, so I came back and slipped her into the front seat, bringing her home.

No one on local social media answered my missing kitty call. Dora was young and petite, pretty, friendly, but timid. She liked to sit up on my desk, next to my ham radio gear, while I made contacts. When she got off the desk she would often look at her image in puzzlement in a floor length mirror. I would love to have kept her, but our house is small; we can’t keep every cat who comes our way. We placed her with a family that has a daughter with a chronic illness. Dora will make an excellent therapy cat. She is as sweet as they come, but not demanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment