Wednesday, December 14, 2022

A Most Difficult Year

MAD Cats, our low/no cost spay and neuter and kitten rescue group has had a tough year, with too many kitten deaths. The majority of the hardship has fallen on our Kitten Mom, Laurie. We hope the worst of it is over. Last night my wife Rose wrote this for Laurie:

A Poem of Kitten Love for Laurie

FRAGILE LIVES

As I held you close and tried my best

I knew your time had come to rest

I guess I knew things weren’t all right

Still I tried and tried with all my might

There were things I simply could not control

And the stress of living finally took its toll

But know that I loved you each step of the way

Through long nights together, and each hour of the day

Was it where you were born or the time of the year?

Were you just not formed right, was there no mother near?

Were you destined by genes or destined by fate?

Or did you simply arrive in a fragile state?

Hundreds of kittens have passed through my care

And losing one kitten is still very rare

Although most of my kittens will have a long life

The loss of just one cuts my heart like a knife.

God give me the strength when my spirit is low

To love these fur babies and accept as they grow

That I cannot save all but can love every one

And with three litters a year --the work’s never quite done!


With Love and Great Respect for All You Accomplish – Rose Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment